Friday 25 March 2011

Making of my Final Sculpture Task 1

To create my pentagons and hexagons I first used the polygon draw tool on Adobe Illustrator to firstly draw the hexagons. To draw the pentagons i did exactly the same but used the select tool and double clicked on the outline of the hexagon which brought up an option box to change the about of sides the shape has, I changed this to 5 sides to draw my pentagons. (screen shot below) 

I then lined up the to shapes to make sure the sides of the shape were the same size and lined up when I cut them out to sick them together. (Evidence of this can also be seen screen shot below where I have measured up 1 pentagon and surrounded it with 5 hexagons.)


One I had made the shapes and made sure they were the same exact size I printed them off and cut them out to make templates. I first draw out the 12 pentagons on an 1 one sheet of card. (As you can see pictured below.)




After drawing out 12 pentagons I draw out all 20 hexagons on a new sheet of card. To all 32 shapes I draw a 5mm flap on every side of all the shapes. This is to make it easier to join and stick the shapes together when it comes to assembling it. I then cut out all 32 shapes and scored along all the flaps to make them easier to fold to make a right angle to join onto other shapes. I used PVA glue to join all shapes together as it joins clear and creates a strong join. 





When i started to assemble my sculpture I started by using the plan I first drew on Adobe Illustrator. Using the pentagon as my base and surrounding it with 5 hexagons as you can see for the two images above when I joined all the sides of the pentagons and hexagons together I created a natural curve. This being the base of my sphere. 



Next in every gap between the hexagons I put in a layer of pentagons. Which if you see in the image above created a perfect fit for the next layer of hexagons to fit in easily. 







After adding the new layer of hexagons it again created a nice gap for another new layer of hexagons to fit on top again. At this stage of the structure and sculpting you can see that joining all the sides of pentagons and hexagons tightly together has begun to create a bowl shapes sculpture with a nature curve flowing through out. 






The two new layers of hexagons again left between each shape a gap now for the exact shape of a pentagon (this is visible in the first 3 pictures above). The fourth image above is a picture of the inside of the sphere which I thought mesmerizing and matched the brief of continuous and repeat perfectly. 





The 3 images above show how the pentagons left room for a final layer of 5 hexagons .



The final layer of 5 hexagons left one gap left just right for the final pentagon to fit in. before i did that I took a picture of the inside (photographed above) and as you can see the main focus is on the first base layer of 1 pentagon and 5 surrounding hexagons.


This is a photo taken in a mock up infinity wall with black card as the background., I did this step up in my university bed room to test out techniques I had learnt a previous photography workshop. This is also a photo of my completed Sphere. My next task is to take it into the workshop at university and use proper lighting equipment and the larger infinity background available there. Also to use the better equipped cameras available from the photography stores. 




These are two pictures i took just before the completion of the Sphere sculpture. In these images i placed a blue lamp inside the almost completed sculpture and turned off all the lights, and switched the flash off the camera.  The made the white paper glow a very Fluorescent blue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment